Thursday, July 28, 2011

Why do you write?

I've been busy.  In the past year I have written four books (3 novels and one that ended up being a novella, but I might add to it).  I didn't set out to write so many, but the characters and their stories came to me and I felt compelled to write them down.  I tried to write every day, but I do have a real job, so that didn't always happen.  When I stopped to take stock of what I had accomplished since last June, I realized how hard I had worked. 
Looking back on what I wrote made me think.  Why do I write?  Like I said before, I do have a real job.  Writing is not how I make my money.  Honestly, I don't think I will ever have a "career" in writing.  It's difficult to bust onto the scene as a new writer, especially in the Chick Lit genre.  However, knowing the reality of the situation has not deterred me from writing.  Right now, I have at least three more stories in my head, just waiting to get out.
Why do I bother if it seems like my success will be limited? 
I do it because I love it! 
I love sitting down in front of my computer and bringing characters to life.  I love the feeling I get when my characters say or do something funny.  I love when things come together and my stories fit!  I love it when my friend reads what I've written and talks about how she loved the characters or what they went through.  I feel a sense of pride when I complete that first draft and love the feeling I get when I go back to revisit a draft. 
I write because I love it!
I kept my writing a secret from my family for a long time.  When word finally got out about my writing, they were really encouraging.  They pushed me to pursue the publishing route.  When things just weren't working out, they encouraged me to self-publish.  It is still a struggle for me to explain to them that I put in all the long hours simply because I love it!  Yes, it would be nice to do it full-time and be able to make a living at it.  However, if I only sell a few copies of anything that I write then that's just fine with me!  My characters and my stories are still there.  I enjoy them and that's enough!
Why do you write?

No comments:

Post a Comment