Monday, February 27, 2012

Writing Dry Spell

It's been over a month since I've written anything.  It is driving me crazy that I've taken such a long break from writing.  I didn't set out to take a break, it just sort of happened.  I was busy with my latest book, and felt like things were moving along, but then I hit a bump.  Something about what I was writing just didn't feel right, so I stopped.  I had hoped that it would only be a break for a day or two then everything would work itself out. 
It didn't.
Here it is, a month later, and I'm still not writing.  Since I started writing a few years ago, I've never had such a long dry spell. I don't know what to do with myself.  All of a sudden, I have a lot more free time.  Unfortunately, I don't have anything to fill that time with.  I'm bored and boredom does not breed creativity!
The strange thing about this dry spell, is that my mind is absolutely full of characters, dialogue, and scenes!  I can't stop thinking about the characters of the current book and of future books!  I've planned out whole chapters and conversations, yet I can't seem to get my fingers to type any of it.  Seriously, what is wrong with me!  I tried going back and reading some of my already published work, but even that hasn't helped.  My next step is to try gaining inspiration from some great books written by others.  Is there a new Jill Mansell book out?

No comments:

Post a Comment