Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Celebrity Authors

Just wondering how others feel about the abundance of books out there "written" by celebrities?  Does it make your stomach turn a little when you hear that Snooki and LC from The Hills both had books on the Bestsellers list?  Am I a snob for feeling this way?

As someone who hopes to someday be a published author, shouldn't I be happy that another person made it?  What I can't help wondering though is...why?  Why would publishers jump at the chance to publish a book written by some of these people?  I've thought about it a lot.  I tried being mad at the publishers, but that just didn't do it.  Next, I moved on to the celebrities themselves.  However, it really can't be their fault, they're just doing whatever it takes to make more money and/or get their name out there.  After careful consideration I've finally figured out who needs to take the blame for this...it's us, the readers!

Yes, it's true!  We, the readers, are 100% responsible for the multitudes of awful celebrity books that litter the shelves.  Let's face it, publishers aren't going to put something out there that has no audience.  How many of us hopeful writers know this all too well? 

If we stop fawning over these people, then perhaps we can recapture our literacy! 
Stand up to these awful books! 
Turn your back on celebrity penned novels! 
If we ban together, we can make a difference! 
Who's with me?!?!?!

3 comments:

  1. hear, hear, my thoughts exactly. The sad aspect is that there are children buying Katie Price's novels thinking she penned each line between photo shoots and getting off her rocker. I have not or ever will buy a celebrity novel. They just haven't earned their strips in my book. Maybe it's harsh but no thanks.
    Olive
    http://olivecollins.wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading and posting, Olive!

    You bring up a great point; children reading these celebrity "penned" novels. Here in America we have children looking up to these people. I wonder if giving them book deals somehow makes them seem more legitimate. Does being a published author make them more acceptable?
    I also wonder about the ghost writers. Are they proud of the work they've done?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am mixed on this topic. A lot of people are mesmerized by celebrities and their lives. However, not all are bad and some have a fantasy life that we may never know. I somehow stumbled on a book by Nikki Sixx from Motley Crew and it was a great book.

    ReplyDelete