Sunday, March 20, 2011

Kindle, Nook, or just a plain old book...

I spent the weekend at a conference for my real job.  (My fake job is sitting at home blogging, writing, and collecting royalty checks from all my bestselling novels.  I'm not so good at this one yet!)  Anyway...on the five hour long drive to the conference we had the increasingly popular and important discussion: Nook or Kindle?

I am a Kindle owner.  I have a Kindle because that's what my family purchased for me for Christmas.  I did my research before I gave them the thumbs up.  I already spend enough time in front of a computer screen, thanks to both my real job and fake job, so I didn't want to add any extra strain to my eyes by enjoying a good book.  I love my Kindle.   

The discussion got me thinking, though.  Has the introduction of these electronic readers issued in an era of Reading Renaissance?  There have been a few things that have occurred in the past few years to help precede this era; J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series, Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series, and most recently Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series.  However, I am curious if the accessibility of books via electronic readers will encourage more reading. 

As a hopeful author, I certainly hope it does.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment