Thursday, December 15, 2011

A small glimpse at success or just a very pricey mistake?

My last post was about my decision to offer Nuptials for Sale for free 12/14-12/18.  I was absolutely thrilled when I woke up on the 14th to find that I'd given away twice as many books in 6 hours as I'd sold in several months (that's with all titles combined).  However, by the time I checked my reports again at school - a mere forty-five minutes later - I started to wonder if I'd made a big mistake by offering the book for free.  It's now been almost 48 hours since the book went on sale for 100% off and I am absolutely freaking out about the results.
As a new indie author, the idea of selling the same number of books as I have fingers and toes in one month feels like success.  So watching my freebie numbers continue to rise is a little frightening. A million questions are floating through my head.
What have I done?
What if none of the free readers buy one of my other books?
What's going to happen when my book is no longer free and disappears from the spotlight?
Will some of these readers post reviews?
Could this actually help me sell more books?
Is that opportunity knocking at my door or is it just the sound of my head banging against the wall out of regret?
I felt a little better when I received a comment on my last post from a reader.  She was very encouraging and then posted an amazing review.  See it here   It's amazing and I seriously want to put it on a shirt and wear it around for everyone to read!
The questions are still lingering, though.  This is completely new territory for me and I feel like I have no one to go to for advice.  There's no one I know that can calm me down, tell me this is normal, and that this will all work out in the end.  Right now, I could really use the sage advice of someone who can simply say, "Been there. Done that."
Basically, I've still got 3 more days of this torture before I can see if this whole thing has paid off.  Pun intended!




No comments:

Post a Comment