Wednesday, December 28, 2011

What do you want from your chick lit?

Seriously...as a reader, what is it that you want from your chick lit?  Do you hope to learn something new about yourself?  Are you hoping to gain an insight into the human condition?  What are your expectations going into chick lit?
For me, when I read chick lit, I do it for a specific purpose.  To be entertained.  I like to laugh.  I like to smile.  Sometimes, I even like to cry.  I read chick lit because I like to escape the real world.  I don't want to pick up a book and be bored with a storyline that mimics my own life. Blah! I want to be swept away by the unrealistic romance.  I want a big stupid romantic moment at the end.  I want a happily ever after!  I've only read one book in the chick lit genre that didn't have what I would call a happy ending, and I was pissed when I finished that book!  I felt cheated and angry! 
As an indie author in this genre, I am curious what others want from their chick lit.  Do you expect more realism?  Do you not want the happy ending?  What is it that you want from your chick lit?

2 comments:

  1. Always a happy ending. I have enough stress in my life that I want to escape to an impossible world, fall madly in love with the characters and miss them when I close the book at the end. I want to wake up wondering what happened to them after I put the book down to make dinner.

    Realism? Nope - I want magic.

    I love that in the first book of yours that I read (I just finished buying a second one and will continue..), you didn't stop when the happily ever after was to take place. You went on. You developed the characters even more as their relationship moved past where other authors stopped. We got to watch their first year together.

    I love the wee island I have created in my head. My escape. My safe place.. I go there and read your books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I want all those things, too! I hate it when I close the book and have to say goodbye to my "friends"! When I write, I try to tie up loose ends. I want to leave the reader with a smile and a warm fuzzy feeling. Isn't that why we read chick lit? Life and love are so much easier in books!

    ReplyDelete