Monday, August 29, 2011

Tooting your own horn: Self-promotion vs. Shoving your book down my throat

As a Kindle "indie" author, I know that it is my responsibility to promote and advertise my books.  This blog, for example, was created to help get my name out there so that maybe more people would buy my books.  My twitter account (@VaJewel) is also an attempt to get my name out there.  Honestly, if not for that reason, I wouldn't bother with this blog or the twitter account.  I don't think that I have anything particularly important to say, but I do want people to read my books.  I also have a Facebook page now, even though I believe that Facebook is evil.
But I digress...
Self-promotion is essential if an indie author wants to have any kind of success.  A book isn't going to sell itself.  It has taken me a few months to work all that out for myself.  (I realize that it does seem like a simple fact, but I can be thick and very stubborn sometimes!) My realization started with the creation of this blog and the twitter account and was later expanded to include my journey to create book covers.  While I haven't noticed a HUGE jump in sales because of my self-promotion efforts, I do think it has helped.  Now that I have a Facebook page, I believe that I have used up all my free options of self-promotion. 
My big issue now is how to use the platforms to promote myself without being obnoxious.  I won't name any names, but there are some indie authors out there who are downright OBNOXIOUS about their self-promotion on twitter and Facebook.  If I'm following you, I don't want every one of your posts to be about your books, what spot they are on one of Amazon's lists, how much they cost, or even what other people are saying about them!   Occasionally, it is okay to toot your own horn.  However, not everything you write should be about your books.  If you have funny, interesting, or thought-provoking things to say on Twitter then I may be tempted to read your book(s).  However, if all you ever talk about is your book then I won't read it out of principle.
Bottom line?  There's a fine line between promoting yourself and being obnoxious, and crossing that line might cost you more readers than you gain.

By the way, if I ever get obnoxious in my self-promotion and horn tooting, as a reader of this blog, you have my permission to call me on it!  Tweet about my obnoxiousness, comment on it here, or post it on my Facebook wall.  In other words, virtually slap me across the face to bring me back to reality! 

Thanks!  :-)

3 comments:

  1. First of all this:"even though I believe that Facebook is evil" - couldn't agree more. I don't know if it's only my family, but they all turn into Jeremy Kyle guests on there (or Jerry Springer if you're from the US)!

    Secondly, I know what you mean about obnoxious self promotion. Some people just tweet out the same message about their book over and over again. They don't even bother to swap the words around a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facebook has the magical ability to turn normal, rational, human beings into complete morons! I had to deactivate my personal account last year because I was so fed up with how stupid people from work were being. I firmly believe that people should live by this rule, "If you wouldn't stand up in a crowd of strangers and shout that information, then don't put it on facebook!"
    I worry about the self-promotion thing. I really want people to read my books and enjoy them, but I don't want to annoy people with advertising. Also, I don't want to spend anymore money! I'm trying to make money here! However, I don't want to be that obnoxious person who only talks about their books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spreading the blogging love with an award for you here

    http://mamajheartschicklit.blogspot.com/2011/09/awards.html

    ReplyDelete